Tuesday, February 28, 2012

an observation on words

So today I was thinking about words, as I sometimes do, and it struck me how interesting it is that the same word, with the same definition, can mean different things to different people. For some random reason, I was thinking of the word party.

Party to a 5 year old means cake, balloons, and presents. Party to an 80 year old means playing bingo with friends. Even to the same age group, partying can be mean different things. To me, partying is watching movies and eating junk food with my brothers. To some of my peers, partying means loud music and lots of beer.

There really is no point to this blog post, just me and my random thoughts about words. They are different, they are cool, and some words mean different things to you than they do to me.

1 comment:

  1. Very true! Which is why it's so important to carefully choose your words and clarify with supplementary material!... Good post!

    ReplyDelete